Ageing is a natural process that occurs over time for every human being. Almost all senior citizens face some or other chronic ailments like arthritis, cardiovascular diseases, vascular disorders, and many more. These are some reasons why health insurance for senior citizens above 60 years becomes the biggest ‘unknowns’ during old age.
Purchasing health care insurance has become a need attributable to the soaring expenses of medical treatments in India. However, obtaining healthcare insurance can be demanding for senior citizens over 60 years of age.
Below are some solutions that senior citizens can use for their problems when obtaining healthcare insurance.
It is a health insurance program funded by the government for people aged 60 years and above. It consists of three parts that cover different healthcare services.
- Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance)
Medicare Part A provides comprehensive coverage for individuals aged 60 and above. This includes financial support for hospital stays, ensuring access to nursing facility care, and extending assistance for certain home health care services.
- Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance)
Under Medicare Part B, beneficiaries can access various essential medical services. This coverage includes specific doctor services, ensuring financial support for outpatient care, and assisting in procuring necessary medical supplies.
- Medicare Part D (Prescription Drug Coverage)
Medicare Part D is specifically designed to alleviate the financial burden of prescription drugs. This component of the Medicare plan plays a crucial role in helping individuals cover the costs of necessary prescription medications.
It is a type of supplemental insurance policy that is sold by privately owned businesses. It is designed to work alongside medical insurance Parts A and B and fill any gaps in coverage. This plan can help cover deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance costs. Medigap policies provide coverage for services not covered by original Medicare.
For example, suppose someone travels to another country and has to visit a hospital for any reason. In that case, the Medigap policy generally pays the difference between healthcare costs and the Medicare-approved amount.
Insurance Brokers and Agents
Senior citizens cannot, of course, go from bank to bank looking for the best healthcare policy for themselves; they would surely need someone’s help who could assist them with the correct healthcare policy that will be best suited to them. Insurance brokers and agents thus become crucial in this aspect as they help formulate the most appropriate health insurance for senior citizens above 60 years. They can help you navigate options, explain coverage details, and find a policy that suits your needs.
Group Health Insurance
These plans are far more affordable than others. It is comprehensive health insurance for senior citizens above 60 years, as the policy covers a specific group of people, especially company employees. These plans can be extended to provide coverage for the spouse as well. It is also known as Corporate Health Insurance or Group Mediclaim Insurance.
State Health Insurance Assistant Programs(SHIP)
A state program that gets funding from the central government to provide free local health coverage counselling to senior citizens above 60 years. SHIP advisers are perfectly trained to help you select the plan that best suits your needs. They assist in making the process easier.
SHIP assists with the following:
- Central medical care Supplement Plans (Medigap)
- Qualification and enlistment for monetary help programs
- Preventive administrations
- Charging issues and requests
- Medical care misrepresentation and showcasing infringement
- References to different resources
- Plan comparison and enrollment.
- Understanding coverage and costs
Other solutions for senior citizens above 60 years
- Compare Plans of Different Companies: It is crucial to compare all the available plans in the market and carefully select the one that best suits your needs. Choose the most suitable health insurance for senior citizens above 60 years. One should compare insurance plans, including premiums, taxes, coverage limits, etc. The plan should match the needs and budgets of senior citizens.
- Review Insurance Regularly: As health conditions change, it’s imperative to monitor the purchased insurance plan and get it reviewed, assessed, and altered accordingly to avoid any hassle during use.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: It can cover the costs of extended healthcare services like nursing home care, assisted living, or home healthcare for those who wish to avail it. This type of insurance offers more flexibility and comprehensive options than public assistance insurance programs like Medicaid.
- Wellness Programs: Implement preventive wellness programs for citizens over 60, focusing on regular screenings and lifestyle management to reduce medical expenses.
- Telehealth Services: These services make healthcare providers easily accessible by providing health services online. These immensely benefit senior citizens who cannot travel to different places.
- Awareness: Banks and other healthcare insurance providers should create awareness regarding healthcare plans and policies for senior citizens above 60 who feel vulnerable to their health issues and find no solution to overcome the high cost they incur during treatment. Awareness regarding healthcare insurance for senior citizens above 60 years of age should be spread so that senior citizens can use such opportunities to reduce the burden of high treatment costs.
- Financial Assistance Programs: Investigate and inform senior citizens about financial assistance programs, grants, and subsidies that may help offset the costs of healthcare services and insurance premiums.
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) Marketplace: Depending on the country, senior citizens who are not yet eligible for Medicare can explore healthcare insurance options through the ACA Marketplace. Some countries may have healthcare insurance exchanges or platforms where senior citizens can compare and purchase healthcare insurance plans.
- COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) Coverage: If a senior citizen has recently left employment, they may be eligible for COBRA coverage, allowing them to continue their employer-sponsored healthcare insurance for a limited time.
They are combining all the above-stated solutions, making it credible to create a comprehensive approach to healthcare insurance for senior citizens, addressing their financial and healthcare needs. Senior citizens must be proactive, seek assistance if needed, and thoroughly research the available options to find a healthcare insurance solution that meets their needs and circumstances. Consulting with a financial advisor or healthcare advocate may also provide valuable guidance in navigating the complexities of healthcare insurance for senior citizens.